CLUJ INTERNATIONAL CERAMICS BIENNALE (CICB 2013)
1st edition, October 8 - November 3, 2013
Cluj International Ceramics Biennale is the first contemporary ceramics biennale organized in Romania, and is aiming to become an international meeting place for ceramic artists.
Expressing artistic sensibilities using the means of ceramic art is on a growing scale amongst artists all over the world, and in the last years the contemporary ceramics field started to be seen as a contribution to the major arts. The first edition of the biennale has the potential to change old mentalities, focusing on the contemporary context and presenting the diversity of concepts and techniques in the innovative field of contemporary ceramics.
Cluj International Ceramics Biennale (CICB 2013) is organized by Ceramart Foundation, Ceramics Now Association and the County Center for the Conservation and Promotion of Traditional Culture Cluj, with the support of the University of Arts and Design Cluj-Napoca. The ceramics biennale will be held in several locations in the city of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, during October 8 - November 3, 2013.
– Zehra Çobanlı (Turkey) - Artist, founding member of the International Society for Ceramic Art Education and Exchange (ISCAEE), former Dean of the Faculty of Fine Arts at Anadolu University, Eskişehir, Turkey.
– Gabriele Gruber-Gisler (Austria) - Artist, Curator of the Kapfenberg Biannual of Ceramics, member of O.Ö. Kunstverein and IG Bildende Kunst, Austria.
– Les Manning (Canada) - Artist, Founding Director of the Banff Centre for the Arts, Canada, former Vice-President of the International Academy of Ceramics Geneva during 1996-2004 (representative for North America).
– János Probstner (Hungary) - Artist, Founder of the Kecskemét International Ceramics Studio, Professor and Head of the Silicate Department at the University of West Hungary, representative for Eastern Europe at the IAC.
– Cristina Popescu Russu (Romania) - Artist, Vice-President of the Romanian Fine Artists Union, co-founder of Galateea Gallery, Bucharest, member of the International Academy of Ceramics Geneva.
– Ting-Ju Shao (Taiwan) - Artist, writer for ceramic art publications such as Ceramic Arts, New Ceramics, Ceramic Art and Perception, former committee consultant for the Taiwan Ceramics Biennale and Taipei Ceramic Awards.
– Blazenka Soic Stebih (Croatia) - Artist, President of KERAMEIKON - the Croatian Ceramic Association, Director of the International Festival of Postmodern Ceramics and Ceramica Multiplex, Varazdin.
– Anthony Stellaccio (USA) - Artist and scholar, author, independent researcher, member of the International Academy of Ceramics, Geneva, project manager and curatorial research specialist at Smithsonian, National Museum of African Art.
– Piet Stockmans (Belgium) - Artist and freelance designer since 1989, former designer for the Royal Mosa Maastricht company, former Professor at the University College of Limburg and the Design Academy Eindhoven.
THE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Arina Ailincăi - Artist, member of the International Academy of Ceramics and the Visual Artists Union of Romania
Marius Georgescu - Artist, PhD. Prof. at the University of Arts and Design Cluj-Napoca, Ceramart Foundation
Tiberiu Groza - Director of the County Center for the Conservation and Promotion of Traditional Culture Cluj
Vasi Hîrdo - Editor of Ceramics Now Magazine, President of Ceramics Now Association
Călin Stegerean - Artist, Director of the Museum of Art Cluj-Napoca
Gavril Zmicală - Artist, Director of the Romulus Ladea Visual Arts Highschool Cluj-Napoca
Museum of Art Cluj-Napoca, University of Arts and Design Cluj-Napoca, Romulus Ladea Visual Arts Highschool, Visual Artists Union of Romania, Horeb Gallery, Casino Center for Urban Culture, University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca, Embassy of the State of Israel in Romania.
Agressione Group, Chrysopeea Branding&Design, Farmec, Tipografia Arta, Electro Energetica, Sumi Design, Grafitec, Hitch & Mosher, Lecom, Perpetuum.
Radio France International, Radio România Cultural, ArtClue, Modernism, ArtAct Magazine, TATAIA, Veioza Arte, Vernisaje, SUB25, Slicker, Clujul Cultural, Neapărat, Thevents.